Monday, March 17, 2008

Too much to ask?

Let me start by saying that my husband helps around the house more than some. He does the dishes and he will wash and dry clothes. However, is it too much to ask of my husband and two capable children to go "above and beyond" their normal contribution when I'm sick?

Until today, I had been in bed sick for three days and sick for four. I got up and around this morning, and was irritated with what I saw. I wouldn't say that I was shocked, but I really thought SOMETHING would have been done while I was down and out. There was laundry piled to the top of the recliner. It was so high that it was starting to fall into the floor. The rest of the living room was a mess, and the vacuum really needed to be used. The kitchen...oh my goodness! There was stuff all over the floor. There was something sticky all across the floor, there was what looked like dirty shoe smears across the floor, there was coffee (and I don't drink coffee at home), there were ramen noodles all over the stove, and all the kitchen counters were covered with stuff.

I realize that I do the cleaning and the majority of the housework, but it would have been nice not to have to spend the first day of feeling decent cleaning the house. However, clean is what I did.

I called into work, knowing that it would not be a good day today. When I woke up early this morning, I was still having aches and chills. I don't think I really ever had the flu, but whatever it was it was no fun. Anyway, this afternoon, I started feeling somewhat better. I wouldn't say that I feel fantastic, and I still have some aching, but I felt good enough to get up and about. So, not being able to take it any longer, I cleaned the kitchen and the living room, and put my son to work in his bathroom. I, yes I, hung my husbands clothes and put everything away that was piling up.

I don't expect kudos for all the cleaning...nobody does it like me anyway. It just irriated me that nobody even offered to help.

No comments: