Saturday, April 16, 2011

Recovery - Day 5

Well, my mom's friend was right...day 3 of recovery is the absolute worst!!  On Thursday, I could hardly function.  I was in alot of pain that day, and I just felt bad in general.  I wasn't getting much rest because with my throat being swollen, it's created a sort of sleep apnea.  I wake up constantly.  So, my husband got yet another pain medication that would have more of a sedating affect.  It did have a sedating affect, but it did nothing to help me rest.  I still couldn't sleep worth a darn.  I was just a little more...well...sedated.

Day 4 was a little better.  I still stayed in bed most of the time, only sitting up for a couple of hours, but I felt like I got some rest.  I was finally able to lay on my side, which helps, because I don't wake up all the time unable to breath.  I didn't sleep the whole day, by any means, but I was able to just lay and rest.  AND, with Netflix, I watched the entire season of "Hot In Cleveland" in just a couple of hours!  Gotta love no commercials.

So, here I am on Day 5.  I haven't had a pain pill for 13 hours, I'm drinking coffee for the first time since Tuesday, and I'm having toast.  I've heard that starting the day with toast makes a person happy.  Can't argue with that, now can I?   If I didn't look like a hideous creature, I'd go have my coffee on the back porch.  However, I am quite a sight.  While they are cute, I've been in the same pajamas since Tuesday or Wednesday evening, I really can't remember.  Yes...I do know that it's Saturday morning.  On Tuesday or Wednesday, after I showered, I went back to bed with my hair wet.  I haven't run a brush through it since, so you can imagine what my chin length mop must look like now.  Then, there is the issue of the neck brace.  While I don't wear it all the time, I do wear it when I'm up and around.  The neck brace, in and of itself, makes me look sickly.  I look like one of those really bad actors from the old movies that are trying to rip off insurance companies..."oh, my neck"..."oh, the pain and agony"...yes, I do look like something else!

After a shower, and my hair is brushed once again, I may venture to the back porch to read or something.  Now that I've been up a while, I feel pretty good.  Makes me want to do laundry.  Yeah, I know...I won't...but I feel like doing something.  Sitting idle is really not my thing.

I am very much looking forward to Day 7.  That is the day I can remove the huge bandages that are pulling at my skin.  Yay!

No comments: